November 26, 2007
Glendale Freeway Construction
Photo: Futterer, Holyland Exhibit, 1960. Click photos to enlarge.
Photo: Futterer, Holyland Exhibit, 1923.
The neighborhood grew up around the Pacific Electric Red Car Stop at Whitmore and Allesandro. Small scale single family homes built on narrow streets (Whitmore St. was described as an "alley" on the 1912 Baist's Atlas) and public staircases allowed for suburban living minutes from Downtown Los Angeles.
In 1955 the Glendale and Edendale Red Car lines were decommissioned. In 1960 homes were demolished or moved for the construction of the 2 Freeway. Large vacant lots in the area like the Semi-Tropic Spiritualists' Tract and the Red Car Property were used for sources of fill dirt to build the area freeways. Later, the same lots were used as dumping grounds for the leftover dirt. The 2 Freeway opened in 1962. For more on our neighborhood history: